The aim of this toolbox talk is to increase staff awareness of the how to stay safe in a warehouse.
The use of regular toolbox talks, if done effectively, will significantly improve the safety culture within your organisation. This will increase the safety awareness of the workers, and as a result reduce the likelihood of accidents and unsafe occurrences.
- Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
- Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
There are several risks specific to warehouses and warehousing activities:
- Forklift truck operations
- Vehicle movements / reversing vehicles
- Falling objects from racking or vehicles
- Slips and trips
- Falls from height (access equipment and loading docks)
Warehouses should adopt a ‘no unauthorised access’ approach to ensure those in the warehouse have been trained on the specific risks. When working in an area where fork lift trucks are operating make sure you have line of site to the driver and they can see you! A few key safety points to note when managing warehouses activities:
- If necessary, stop and move to a safe place
- Wear high visibility clothing (mandatory in warehouse and yards)
- No access without permission of warehouse manager / supervisor
- Yard areas are out of bounds to all non-essential personnel
- Loading docks are out of bounds to non essential personnel
- Follow directions indicated by safety signs, i.e. hard hat requirements, and safety footwear
- No exceptions to local rules
- Drivers are to park vehicles and secure keys before loading or unloading
- Drivers are to supervise loading from safe observation areas
- All personnel are required to take extreme care when vehicles are reversing
- Staff are not to approach a FLT while it is in use
General management standards
- All staff are to be familiar with the risk assessment.
- Where method statements are available they are to be followed.
- All visitors must be escorted – particularly in the warehouse areas and yards.
- All vehicles are to parked sensibly when waiting to be loaded or unloaded.
- Personal vehicles are not permitted in the yard or warehouse areas.
- All drivers are to report to reception before proceeding to loading areas.