The use of regular toolbox talks, if done effectively, will significantly improve the safety culture within your organisation. This will increase the safety awareness of the workers, and as a result, reduce the likelihood of accidents and near misses.
As the person giving the Toolbox talk, how you deliver the talk is very important. Here are some tips that can help:
- Make eye contact as much as possible with your audience. This will help to keep their attention.
- You will likely have real life experience on the subject matter – use these examples to help engage your audience.
- Use anecdotes to illustrate the points – people relate better to the stories and experiences of other people.
- Speak with conviction – if you take the training seriously, so will they.
- Speak clearly and distinctly. Don’t be tempted to rush through it or mumble.
- Ask for armation from the participants that they have understood what you have said.